Sunday 1 September 2013

Book Review - The Guardian Angel's Journal by Carolyn Jess-Cooke

Back in April/May I was recommended to read The Boy Who Could See Demons by Carolyn Jess-Cooke. So I did, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I ended up writing about it in my English exam since it fit one of the questions...

I knew back then that Jess-Cooke's first book was The Guardian Angel's Journal and after enjoying The Boy Who Could See Demons so much, I decided that I would read it.

Before I go into my thoughts let me give you a taster of the story.  Margot Delacroix suddenly dies and when she gets into heaven, God gives Margot the task of being her own guardian angel, under the new name of Ruth.  Under the direction of Nan, another angel in heaven, Ruth realises that she will watch over Margot from the very beginning of her life.  Ruth knows exactly what happens all through Margot's life (having lived it all before) and she wishes she could change Margot's life for the better after everything that happened, however it's not all that simple, as she soon learns what consequences are in store for her.

I really enjoyed this book.  It was interesting to read Jess-Cooke's first outing second, because after reading Demons and enjoying it so much, I did wonder if this book would be less appealing to me being a first novel, but it did not take away from the enjoyment of the story at all.  Both The Guardian Angel's Journal and The Boy Who Could See Demons have their similarities and differences. This one was told from the point of view of an Angel, and the other was kind of told from the point of view of the Demon (albeit the demon isn't really there.).  It was interesting to see how demons fit into this story, after reading about them in the other book.

In short, The Guardian Angel's Journal is unlike anything I have ever read before.  I love the style of writing Jess-Cooke has and how the story developed and also how the characters developed.  Early on we see a completely different side of Ruth and then as it progresses we gradually see her develop and change and it really did keep the story going; her determination to be able to change things when she couldn't really shone through the whole novel.  When reading about Margot's life, how dark and horrible it was, right from birth, it is, in parts, incredibly moving.  In the early chapters, I nearly found myself in tears, and that hasn't happened since I read the end of Victor Hugo's Les Misérables.  The power of the narrative and what is going on in Margot's life, feeling sorry for both Margot and Ruth at the same time, it all really makes you want to bawl into your pillow.

I also found this book was one that couldn't be put down.  That sounds very cliché, but the past few nights I have lost track of the time during the reading of it.  It really grabs your attention and makes you want to read more and more, which is what I feel makes this book one that I won't forget for a long time.  I bought my own copy yesterday and I've also ordered The Boy Who Could See Demons because I know that at some point in my life I would love to go back and relive these books again.  I hope Jess-Cooke continues to write novels because right now I have been left with the desire to read more.  It's probable I will pick up her poetry collection, Inroads at some point too.  But probably not for a little while yet.

I wouldn't recommend this book to young teenagers, but older teenagers and adults will definitely appreciate this book, and if you are into books about Angels and Demons, this is definitely one you should read.



kind regards

Gordon H




PS: The cover is gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment